Interesting little post. There seem to be less people playing older games as “comfort” fallbacks than I would have thought. I love Civ IV as well, but for comfort fallback, my favorites are:
1. Rockstar – an old dos game by wizard entertainment. Take some drugs, play some songs, release some albums and amass stadium’s of fans around the world 😉
2. Decker – The first almost-roguelike on my list, a shadowrun-based cyberspace simulator. A bit of fun, i’ve spent many hours playing it and it still comes out from time to time.
3. Liberal Crime Squad – another almost-roguelike. Involves violence, prostitution and politics, all in an ascii game. To give some idea, the authors of this game apologise that they weren’t able to offend -everybody-. 🙂 I’ve actually beaten this game once, but its still fun to go back. Let me say again however, I’ve beaten it once, been wiped out hundreds of times.
4. IVAN – A full-fledged roguelike. The name is an acronym that means “A Violent Road to Death”. Occasionally I feel suicidal and get this game out.
5. Hollywood Mogul – An independant commercial game where you must run a hollywood studio, make movies, win the equivalent of oscars and the like. Very much a “Just another turn” game that can keep you up all night.
My Trackback machine has found someone else picking up the meme. See Kim’s Comfort Games at:
Conflict: Middle East Political Simulator was always fun – and oh so relevant again today.